Monday, May 21, 2012

The Real Stuff: Are you getting the technology promised?

Are you getting the technology promised?

Apparently not.  I read an article about someone amazed by the fact that their local agents didn’t know how to use, what is now, common technology tools for the real estate industry.

After having a big brokerage for 5 years, I have now streamlined by operations and focused on providing my agent teams with the latest technology tools and one on one mentoring, training and coaching.  Regardless of what you think, the name of the agency doesn’t improve your personal business at all.  I take listings and buyers from the ‘big boys’ every week.  Why?  Because I show my clients the latest tools and techniques to satisfy their needs….to sell a home and/or buy a home.

The article I read mentioned that all the ‘big boy’s’ websites promoted themselves as being on the cutting edge of technology….yet a majority of their agents don’t use the latest technology tools.  Especially the ‘old school’ agents who have been around for awhile.  The ads are there, but the substance is not. 

A few weeks ago, a local agent was shocked that I didn’t have a fax.  Are you kidding me.  I told him a fax machine was not needed anymore.  He needed to scan the material and email it to me.  After he caught his breath, and I held my ground that I was really telling the truth and didn’t have a fax machine, he finally admitted that he had scanning capability, but would have to figure it out.  Are you kidding me?  The fax machine has been on the obsolete technology list for a few years now.  If you have a fax machine, get rid of it.  Not needed. 

Oh, yeah.  This same agent who was shocked that I didn’t have a fax machine also still hand writes his contracts and still gets original signatures, from him, his broker, and his two clients.  We now have the capability to complete our contracts online and send them for electronic signatures to our clients, our brokers, and our co-op agents.  All without printing one piece of paper.  Everything is online and stored in the clouds.

The author of the article stated, “The ability to get a signature from clients quickly and electronically can greatly reduce the amount of time, stress and work that can go into finalizing a contract. Buyers and sellers love to be able to sign electronically because it makes the transaction easier and less stressful for them too.”  Don’t we all want something that is easier and less stressful?

I use other technologies like Dropbox to store training material, forms, videos, etc so all my agents have access, remotely, to our agency material.  I even use dropbox when sharing large amounts of data and paperwork with other co-op agents.  I put the paperwork in my dropbox account and share it with whomever I want….agents, clients, brokers, etc.  It is secure and quick.  .

Today’s real estate agent and agency is much different than it was even 5 years ago.  The clients are online and expect the latest technology tools, and keeping organized is a major benefit to protecting our clients during the largest financial decision they are making for their family. 

It is great to see some local agents with a IPAD to present their listing presentation on.  But the technology usually stops there.  Those same agents using the IPAD still think open houses and newspaper ads will sell the house.  Wrong!  I sell my client’s homes for more money and in less time than other local agents, yet I have never advertised in the local newspaper.  Where does the success come from?  From having a true, “cutting edge technology” strategy including online advertising, online communication, and technology management.  That is what makes the difference for today’s buyers and sellers.

So what is the point of all this?  If you are looking to be a client of mine, buyer or seller, be assured that I have and use the latest technology programs available to satisfy your needs.  If you are an agent, looking for success, wouldn’t it sound better to work with someone who is on top of the latest technology that will improve your success and lower your stress, and provide the training you need to use the tools and incorporate them into the current “tried and true” real estate strategies.   With today’s technology, I can have a streamlined office atmosphere, less overhead, more efficiency, and pay my agents higher splits.

Buyer, Seller, or agent:  Which real estate company has the best technology? Can they prove it? What does it look like? What is it? Just because they say they have it, are the agents using the technology?

As always, my family relies on referrals! I appreciate the opportunity to show others what level of service a true real estate professional can provide.

Posted via email from Scott Deaton's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment