Thursday, December 17, 2009

Real Estate, It’s not as hard as it looks

By Bob McKinnon

For forty years now I have watched the ongoing cycle of this business of thousands of people each year going into real estate while the same number leave the industry having failed or not liking it. In many cases the process damages these well meaning individuals financially and emotionally in significant and sad ways. Granted many were not suited for our industry or prepared for the realities of it but so many could have made it if pointed in the right direction earlier.

My belief is that we do not imprint new people properly. We actually tell them how tough this is and that they should be prepared not to make any money for a long time then allow them to sit and get ready for months when they could have been doing something to make money from minute one. Proper imprinting starts from the big picture first by telling a new agent what the point of all this is and what their real job description is.

Let me illustrate. In my coaching of new agents I try to get to see two things from day one. First, the point of a twenty year career in real estate is to end up wealthy with equities and residual income. From the days of John Jacob Astor we learn that most all wealthy people became so by investing in real estate. We therefore are working in the commodity of wealth! You get that? When we list and sell we are working for tips while someone else gets the meal. See from day one that you should see our profession as a means to learn to see good investments and to buy, sell, develop, manage real estate as soon as you can get the money to do so. We can get rich selling real estate we get wealthy owning it.

Second. Your job description is and I make them memorize this is, “Hello my name is Bob, I am a Realtor, I help people invest in Real Estate. Now when at a party or meeting people that is what you say. So where do I get leads? Put on a suit, get a chair and sit in the middle of your local mall with those words painted on a sign. Sit there for twenty minutes not saying a word just smile. Soon you will have a small line of people asking you questions, I guarantee it. One girl I trained I told her to get 15 business card each morning and leave home. Give all fifteen cards away during the day and say those words. Within two weeks she had three buyers and one listing. Stop being a “secret agent” and start telling folks who you are and what you do, the commodity will take care of the rest.

So could it be that easy? My belief is yes it could. Please know that you must take the time and energy to learn our business but at the end of everyday it is your job to get out there and get leads and that is not as hard as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment